Author Topic: Ric Bass Strings?  (Read 5784 times)

Offline sloopdawg

• View Profile
Ric Bass Strings?
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
What are the standard Bass Strings used for the Ric 4001 Bass. Flat Wound? Round Wound? What guage?
Probably sounds stupid to ask but I'm curious.

Offline sloopdawg

• View Profile
Re: Ric Bass Strings?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »
No one use Bass strings? or no one play a Ric Bass.

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:07:51 AM »
I found this old reply from John Hall regarding strings to the 4001 bass, I think it answers your question.

" -The string tension of a round wound string, especially a nearly pure iron string like those in the Roto Sound class, is almost 100 lbs. greater than a typical flat wound string.
The 4001 neck was designed in 1956 for the only type of strings available then . . . flat wound . . . and since the design favored a slim neck, the neck strength was right on the edge of the envelope. Round wound strings took many of these instruments beyond their rated capability for string tension, resulting in various problems.
But of course there are many types of strings, not to mention that every piece of wood is different, so plenty of 4001's have been used with round wound strings for decades with no ill effect. The best advice on these older basses is to use the light tension string you can stand.
The 4003 has a completely different truss rod design and can handle any type of string you prefer. Fretwire has nothing to do with any of this, as we've always used the hardest alloy available. But it is true that a round wound string will tend to wear down any bass's frets faster."

(John Hall (CEO at RIC), Dec 17, 1998)

Offline sloopdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
Thanks, excellent answer, exactly what I was looking for.