5 (45.5%)
Vox
4 (36.4%)
Line6
0 (0%)
Other
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Guitar Amps  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
Guitar Amps
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
There are many brands of amplifiers for guitars. The most well known are probably Marshall, Vox and Fender, at least what I think. There are of course many others....

Personally I have used Vox amps most of the time.

Poll #1 is about guitar amps. Is your favorite brand (no specific models this time) in the list?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:59:28 PM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline jbiscuti

• View Profile
    • John Biscuti on Myspace
Re: Guitar Amps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »
The Vox AC-30 is my favorite amp. I've owned two of them - I currently have the Custom Classic 2x12 and it's a great amp, despite being made in China.

I'm also partial to the Fender Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, and Vibrolux - but the Vox is #1. Nothing chimes and jangles quite like it! Of course, putting a Rick through it helps too.

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:02:37 AM »
Fender Twin Reverb is a great amp, too. Loud beast, there is no such thing as low volume when playing on one of those.

Offline f@c@

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »
My 5 Fenders range from a '64 Bassman  up to a '71 400 P.S. and all of them have their place.
After buying the 400, volume never was an issue.Backaches are.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »
My main guitar amp is a blackface Fender tube deluxe amp, but I would love a Marshall stack.

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »
Each make of amplifer has something to offer. This is a bit like asking what is my favourite Beatles' song. There are just so many different choices it is hard to decide.

I love the Vox with the alnico speakers, however, if forced to choose, I would go with Fender as it has figured so centrally in so many styles of music since the advent of the electric guitar and bass.
I read the news today, oh boy ...

Offline weleetkaoutlaws

• View Profile
    • Lawn Jockey
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
I voted for "Other".  Through the years I have had several each Marshalls, Fenders, and a single Vox.

In early 2002 I found the one amp I'll never part with, a Budda SuperDrive II 18 1x12 combo.  It covers Marshall (think mini plexi), and has very nice shimmery Vox sounds as well.  A bit expensive, but built like a tank, and covers everything I need to do....except it has no reverb.

Late in 2007 I went looking for a small 5 watt amp.  It had to be all tube (tube rectified as well).  I wound up with a Swart ST6V6SE.  The amp is amazing.  It does Fender better than Fender does Fender.  Again, a bit expensive (especially for a 5 watt amp), built like a tank.....except it has no reverb.

The issue of no reverb has been taken care of with a Gomez G-Spring reverb unit.  It is a boutique clone of the early Fender reverb heads, but build quality is second to none.  It has the most useful, adjustable reverb I have ever used...and I have played several of the original Fender units.  A bit pricey, but well worth the cost if you are looking for vintage reverb.

Here are the links to the amps/reverb:

http://budda.com/gear/combos/superdrive18_1x12.html

http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_tweed_tone_6v6se.htm

http://www.gomezamps.com/g-spring.html

You can dig around in the above links for soundclips.
Fender Stratocaster;Fender Telecaster;Ric 330/6;Ric 620/12;PRS McCarty;Danelectro Longhorn; Gretsch G5128;Gibson SG Standard;Gibson Les Paul Deluxe;Gibson ES-335;Gibson Melody Maker;Larrivee L-03MT-12;Larrivee L-03R;JBovier F5-Vine;Deering Boston;Budda Superdrive II 18;Swart ST6V6SE;Gomez G-Spring

Offline Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »
Everything I have is original 1963 to 1970 Fender or a reissue of an amp from that era. Perfect tone for me every time and reliability that can't be beat. I have a '63 Bassman, a '65 Twin reverb, a '65 Dual Showman,a '69 Twin Reverb, a '70 Vibrolux, a '70 Vibratone, a Twin Reverb '65 Reissue, and a Twin Reverb '65 Reissue Classic 15.
Yer guitar pickin' friend,
Herb
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"
Doghouse Jazz