Author Topic: The Beatles - memories  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
The Beatles - memories
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
I love music, that's for sure. I also know what was the definitive trigger for me. It was The Beatles. I was 7 and The Beatles performed on Swedish TV. Wow!
Now, it's 44 years since I saw that TV show and I can say for sure that it was one of the events that pointed out the direction for my life.

A couple of weeks later I visited one of my aunts. She was still a teenager and she had the "She Loves You" single. I played it over and over again the whole day long.

Two weeks ago I was reminded about this time of my life. My mother had found my old Beatles wig, a terrible thing, packed down in some old box. I bought in the mid sixties. Remember these?

One thing I remember is that John had a guitar called Rickenbacker. It looked very strange compared to other guitars I had seen before (What I didn't see was that George played a 12-string guitar. It took me a number of years before I understood where that "ringing" sound came from).

That very same aunt gave me her guitar when I was 8 or 9 (don't remember exactly). I halped her to clean her room and she said she didn't want to have the guitar anymore....
So, my aunt gave me the guitar and The Beatles gave me the music. This is the simplified version....

How did you get into music?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:48:13 PM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline beatlesboy

• View Profile
Re: The Beatles - memories
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
The Beatles. It was 1969, I was 7 years old, I didn't know the Beatles, nor knew that they were about to split up. The movie 'A Hard Day's Night' was shown on TV, I watched it, and I said 'that group is awesome'. Started listening to the radio and found a local station that played their music every Sunday, the whole day! I remember the first song I heard on the radio was 'Ask Me Why'. My brother said the bass player's dead, but I didn't believe him (which was good). I found a corner magazine stand that hoarded old Beatles books and magazines and read up on them and found out how big they were. After that I started saving my allowance and bought the Please Please Me LP, if only for Ask Me Why. After I heard the entire album I was hooked. My goal was to be able to buy one Beatles album every month or two, but I couldn't save fast enough to buy Beatles LPs and Batman comic books all at once, something's got to give!  ;D One thing I regretted was when I got to buy all those old '16' teen magazines which featured the Beatles, I cut their pictures out and saved and pasted them in my scrapbook, not knowing the value of those magazines now, and they were mint at that time! Oh well...

Of course I wanted to be like Ringo. He was responsible for my taking the drums as my first instrument. I first learned to play the drums before I got to guitars. He still probably doesn't realize the magnitude of his influence to so many drummers the world over. My first drum part was 'Bad Boy', and the first time I actually played it, I got everything right, even without having taken any lessons (I just watched Ringo and other drummers play and used those as my 'lessons'. Oh, so that's the snare... oh, the bass goes with the cymbals, cool...).

Then I got into my first professional band at 17 years old, played drums of course, but I thought the bass was cool as well. Took about 5 more years before I actually played one. I said to myself, if I can play 'Nowhere Man', I'll switch to bass. My first bass song was 'All My Loving'. After that, bass became second nature.

So, the Beatles are my main musical influence, and like so many others, set me off to the musical direction I'd take.
4001C64, no other...

Offline Beatlefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
The year the Beatles hit big in America - 1964, I turned 7.  My best friend's mother liked the Beatles, so my friend and I got to listen to her 45's and albums.  The community swimming pool where we lived had an area next to the concession stand with a jukebox.  This is where all the teenagers hung out.  The summer of 1964 that jukebox played almost non-stop Beatles.  In 1967, when I turned 10, I started buying my own Beatles records.  I've since become a serious collector of Beatles vinyl, and today I have about 500 Beatles albums (and probably as many singles).

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
I was turned on to The Beatles in 1985, by a friend of mine who was the bass player in my band. I was playing rythmn guitar then. I was hooked instantly and have been ever since. This guy also turned me on to Yes, Bread and Queen. Also the Rush album Caress of steel. Come to think of it, I really should do something for him, it is Christmas time.