Author Topic: Which Beatle Books Do You Have?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline beatlesboy

• View Profile
Which Beatle Books Do You Have?
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:55:29 PM »
So many came out and are still constantly flooding the market, so we would like to know which books you have, especially the real, factual and authoritative ones.

I've had a lot over the years that I eventually discarded after finding out that they were written without permission or are not based on actual dialogues with the Beatles or their immediate circle.

The more trustworthy ones are: The Beatles Anthology, Cynthia's A Twist of Lennon, Hunter Davies' biography book, Mark Lewisohn's The Complete Beatles Chronicles and Abbey Road Recordings, Dezo Hoffman's picture book, Robert Freeman's picture book, Richard Dillelo's The Longest Cocktail Party, Andy Babiuk's The Beatles' Gear, and others, plus the newer recording studio ones that recently came out.

I wouldn't trust Bob Spitz' book Philip Norman's Shout or any of the pocket-sized books that came out after John was shot.

One more very trustworthy book is Ringo's collection of postcards...

So what do you guys have? And any comments on those?
4001C64, no other...

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
Re: Which Beatle Books Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »
I have a number of Beatles books and I list them all. Music & Lyric books are excluded.

The Complete BEATLES Recording sessions  Mark Lewisohn
The Complete BEATLES Chronicle  Mark Lewisohn
Beatles Gear Andy Babiuk
The Beatles Bill Yenne
The Beatles Companion Ted Greenwald
The Beatles Unseen Archives Daily Mail (compiled by Tim Hill & Marie Clayton)

Paul McCartney Ross Benson
A Day In The Life Mark Hertsgaard
The Lives Of John Lennon (one in English & one translated to Swedish) Albert Goldman
The Beatles (Swedish version) Hunter Davies
The Beatles - The Long & Winding Road Neville Stannard
Beatles For Sale Bill Harris
Imagine John Lennon Yoko Ono & others

These books are very entertaining but you should never take the content in any of them for the absolute truth. However, they do tell a story and they are important documents from an exciting period in the history of rock & pop music.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:33:05 AM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline wmthor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »
I just hope that no one has placed a deposit with Nick Thiel for The Beatles' Equipment Guide.  See the attached link.

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/messages/16/158212.html?1181396601
There's one for you, nineteen for me.

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:26:46 PM »
Bjorn: We have many of the same books. Most of what you have listed are classics. You are so correct, however, in that all of the information has to be taken with a grain of salt as their is a margin of error in all things, including the Fab Four.

One of my most cherished Beatles' books is Beatles - The Complete Scores published by by Hal Leonard. There are errors in these scores but every tab in the book will get you very close to the truth. You can fine tune from there.

What is so nice about researching the Beatles' music is that you get to go in the footsteps of the Fabs when playing these songs. A truly marvellous book and a gift to the boomers!
I read the news today, oh boy ...

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:31:53 PM »
I once had the Hal Leonard books but they got lost somewhere. It's not a good thing to let people borrow books if they don't return them, and the worst is that I have completely forgot who borrowed them. If the books you mention are the same it was one red, one yellow and one green (and one blue?). Is this right? I remember that the transcriptions sounded very close to many of the originals. Is it possible to buy these today?

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »
Bjorn: The books of which you speak are still available but they are not as complete as the one I have mentioned.

Beatles Complete
I read the news today, oh boy ...