Author Topic: Fender Champion 600  (Read 7043 times)

Offline wmthor

• View Profile
Fender Champion 600
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
I picked up one of Fender's new Champion 600 amps last week.  It's 5 watts with 2 tubes (a 12AX7 and a 6V6), a six inch speaker and two inputs.  It is also capable of driving an external speaker cabinet.  At the store I ran it through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab.

The Champion 600 is a just little larger than a Roland MicroCube or a Vox DA5.  I bought it because I believe that it will be a great little travel/practice amp.  To top all off, it was a good bargin, at just under $200 US, tax included.

I've run all of my Rickenbackers (including the 730S) through it and I like the tones the amp projects.  My Strat and Tele sounded good though the amp too (but that was expected).
There's one for you, nineteen for me.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
Re: Fender Champion 600
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:07:25 AM »
Wmthor,
You would expect nothing less out of a Fender tube amp, no? I have an early 70s blackface deluxe and it is hands down, my favorite guitar amp of all time. Every guitar I own sounds awesome through it. I seen your band in the other thread, those are beautiful guitars. Which guy/Tele is you? I am primarily a bassist but, I have been playing guitar since I was about 8, and I always wanted a Tele because, of all the Fenders I have ever played, the only two I ever really liked, were both Telecasters. My Dad is also a bassist and he has several nice Fender basses, the nicest I've played, in fact,but I wouldn't buy one myself. I played one of my dad's friends' Carvins and promptly bought one. It looks an awful lot like a Tele, and it is a seriously sweet guitar but, I wouldn't mind someday adding an old Telecaster to my collection. Sorry for rambling, anyway, those are beautiful guitars.

Bob

Offline wmthor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:59:55 AM »
Bassbob, first that's not my band  :-[ ; just a group of friends that meet once a year for a jam  :).  I'm the one in the orange shirt playing the Japanese made 62 Custom Reissue.  The other Tele is a recent Custom Shop Nocaster.  I also have a 73 Silver-Face Deluxe Reverb, which is a great amp.
There's one for you, nineteen for me.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Fender made/makes great tube amps, that's for sure. I no longer play in a working band but, occassionally some friends stop by and jam with me. Several have wanted me to play with them full time but, I am a family man and have very little spare time. I do some home recording on my I-Mac, and thats the focus of most of my creative energy nowadays.

Offline hsech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »
I've owned a Fender Champion 600 for nearly a year now.  It's surprisingly loud for it's size.  I also bought a Boss "Deluxe Reverb" pedal to use with it.  The Boss pedal provides reverb and tremolo and provides a lot of vintage vibe to a cool little amp.

Offline hsech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
I noticed on Musicians Friend that they now have a Gretsch Electromatic amp that is like the Champion 600.  The covering and grill are Gretsch vintage correct, but it is essentially identical to the Champion 600.  Not surprising since Fender owns Gretsch.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Electromatic-G5222-5W-1x6-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481874