Author Topic: Vox teardrop dressed up as a Rickenbacker or....?  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
Vox teardrop dressed up as a Rickenbacker or....?
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »
Vox teardrop dressed up as a Rickenbacker or a Rickenbacker teardrop....
I just received this photo in an email. This is what it says:
"Hi !
Do you know this Rick ?
It's for sale.
I never heard or read about it.
I thought it was a Vox .
It's from the Chateau d'Herouville collection (France). The place were the Bee Gees recorded "saturday night fever".

This is just crazy. I don't know what to think.

Offline jingle_jangle

• View Profile
Re: Vox teardrop dressed up as a Rickenbacker or....?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
As far as I recall, this is a real live Rick (350?) which was cut back by a previous owner into the teardrop shape.

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »
I moved the thread as it appears to be a Rickenbacker guitar. Hopefully we will find out more about it as time goes....

I have just now been informed that this guitar started out as 360 (this is what the previous (?) owner says).

"Désolé, la guitare a été vendue. Il me reste une Tear Drop Ricken 360, une 360WB 12 cordes Fireglow, tous ces modčles ayant fait partie de la collection du Château ā Hérouville. Il y a aussi une basse Beatles  Hofner.
Bien cordialement,  LT"

OK, translated to English it says:

"Sorry, the guitar is sold. But there is still a Tear Drop Rick 360, a 360 WB 12 string Fireglo, all these models are part of the Chateau d'Hérouville studio Collection. And there is also a Hofner Beatle bass.
Regards. LT"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:51:37 PM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline elysrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:44:34 PM »
That is amazing - they must have cut the guitar down first, and then rebound it.  Not a job for an amateur...

Why would someone want to do this?  Why not just go buy an actual Vox teardrop?

Offline celtishlizzard

• View Profile
    • JeanMi Chapron on MySpace
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
Hello everybody, here !

This is my first post. Sorry for my English ===> I'm French...
Here is the story for the TearDrop Rick : during the very early seventies, one of the first independant studios was created, near Paris, at Hérouville. The Studio Chateau D'Hérouville. Many musicians recorded there. Bill Wyman, David Bowie, Elton John, The Bee Gees, etc... I can't tell here the whole story.
I was searching the web for a second hand Rick and found one, a 360 walnut. I contacted by e-mail the guy who was selling this guitar. He told me I was late and the Rick was already sold. But he told me it came from Chateau D'Hérouville collection, (he was the engineer) and sent me few pics of other Ricks. And I saw that incredible TearDrop.
He explained me later that he made TWO Ricks with ONE...
He owned a 362/12 (I'm not sure of the model, but this is one with two necks). He knew a very good luthier and told him he'd like to have a TearDrop Rick. And that was done... The result was a 12-string custom and this incredible TearDrop.
He visited the Rick factory in the US and bought knobs and other pieces to finish it.
This very unique model is for sale.
 :)
Still seaching the internet for a Rick, I think I found one today, a 1991 350 full size (24 fret) mapleglo, (not the 3/4 V63 model) with metal parts in black color, in very good condition. I hope I'll get it !
Have a nice day !
 ;D