Author Topic: Playing lead guitar on a Model 330  (Read 10241 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
Playing lead guitar on a Model 330
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
When it comes to lead guitar playing it's not exactly Rickenbacker Model 330 that comes into mind. This guitar is however highly underrated as a "solo guitar". I discovered that the tone and sound from a 330 is very mellow but still clear. The sustain isn't like on guitars with hard tail but with some modern technology that's not a problem.

Right now I use a Vox AD60VT as my main amplifier. It is a very convenient solution. You can can many sounds in many different volume levels. This is very good for me as I play so many different types of music.
Before that I used to have (still have) a preamp GK 2000CPL. I used a Midiverb from Alesis and various power amps and speakers. The sound I have on "Destiny" is the CPL2000 played through a Marshall power amp and two cabinets (4x12). I had an extremely loud volume! I was in the control room myself while the amps where roaring in the studio.

Here is how it sounds!
http://www.rickbeat.com/videoandsound/destiny.mp3
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:37:32 PM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline jbiscuti

• View Profile
    • John Biscuti on Myspace
Re: Playing lead guitar on a Model 330
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:37:18 AM »
Sounds great Bjorn! I agree that 330s are underrated solo guitars.

Is that a wah pedal or an envelope filter you're using on that track?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »
John,

I use a Wah-wah pedal. In a "mid-position" this pedal creates an extreme sustain to the tone, almost like feedback but always with the correct note. It is also true that the effect created isn't far from the envelope parameter on a synth.

I don't use this pedal so much now but it happens now and then....

Offline briseyw

• View Profile
    • Briseyw Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »
I've always used my 330 and 360 as lead guitars and incorporated a Cry Baby Wah pedal into the sound too.  My main influence for this was Paul Weller in his Jam days.

I agree that the combination of hollow bodied guitars and wah is excellent for creation of looped feedback and sustained distortion of notes etc, I used this method on a Majikfish song called "Toy Shop" which was a heavy song with the beginning set to chaotic feedback from this combination.  Normally for the heavier songs I would use my Les Paul, but the 330 or 360 gave me the perfect sound when used this way.
Briseyw

Keep on chiming!

Offline Matthew Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:06:12 AM »
Hey Björn,
That's some very tasty playing! I think that the idea of the 330 (or any Rick for that matter) not being a "lead guitar" is more a matter of perception/reputation than of any tonal or playing characteristics of the instrument. I do find it ironic though that while Rick guitars may not have had the reputation of being a “lead” instrument- the basses do!
 ;)

Offline MacBratt88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »
I find this a strange topic.

Didn't John Fogerty use a Rick while in CCR? I thought the lead of 'Up Around the Bend' must be a Rick.

Also James Honeyman-Scott used a Rick as lead guitar once or twice and I'm sure there are many others.

Though I must admit that of late I don't see it that much anymore....

Marc

Offline Beatlefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 06:21:40 AM »
John Fogerty did indeed use a Rick in CCR - a 325 with a humbucker installed in the brige position.  He also used a Les Paul, and would trade the guitars out on a pretty equal basis.

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »
For a primer on how to use guitars effectively on stage, take a look at the Premonition DVD. John Fogerty simply got better over the years. This DVD should be in every guitar players library. It will not dissapoint. Speaking of the 330, he does a great job with a model 1997 and it is a beautiful guitar as well.
I read the news today, oh boy ...

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
I am sure that we all become better guitar players as the years go by.
The basic technique doesn't improve as much as HOW you play your riffs and solos. As your music perception is getting more fine tuned, your performance will go along with it.