Author Topic: "The jangle sound"  (Read 19121 times)

buchrob

Re: "The jangle sound"
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
You get a stunning copy of the early Beatles sound using a tube amp and the 325 v 64 Miami.

Best to try to emulate some less complex George songs, since these were usually recorded in a rush with little effort by Lennon/McCartney to fiddle unnecessarily with the sound.

Just strumming the opening chords to "Do You Want To Know a Secret" with all the dials at 12 o'clock will make your hair stand on end, it's that creepily accurate. The short scale of the guitar, thicker strings, third pick-up and the normal resonance created by the tube amp all combine to create THE sound.

Take your baseline from there.

Same set-up and other Ric's (330 and 650) are almost the same, but not quite. Playing though solid state amp (Vox ADV50 or Fender practice amp) sounds unfinished and less full.

Offline theonemanband

• View Profile
Re: "The jangle sound"
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 09:18:01 PM »
I've just bought a Roland JC-40 (Jazz Chorus 40watt) amp for gigging. This is the finest amp I have ever used for my Ric 620/12. Absolutely sparkling, crystal clear sound, even at high volume which is VERY loud!!
Excellent onboard reverb & spacious stereo chorus plus fx loop and DI out.
Played direct in through an optical compressor (Zoom muti-fx stompbox) this amp is absolutely Rickenbacker jangle heaven!!
Keeping "Live" Music Live