Author Topic: The best Fender combo amp?  (Read 17852 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
The best Fender combo amp?
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »
I wonder if the new Hot Rod series and Blues Deluxe amps are reliable? Anyone in this forum who is familiar with these "new" amps.
I really like the look of the Blues Deluxe Reissue and it's not too expensive...

The '65 Twin Reverb Reissue is maybe a better choice then the ones above? Tell me about your own experience with Fender Amps.

Blues Deluxe Reissue
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:26:38 AM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline guitarwizard55

• View Profile
Re: The best Fender combo amp?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:04:15 AM »
I play out of a 4 x10 Blues Deville and a Twin Reverb at the same time or can use either one separtely but I also use a Boss GT-8 effects board I can get any sound I want from this combo. You cant go wrong with either amp. But if you want the best clean sound go with the Twin. The Blues Deville tends to break up faster.
Good luck

Steve

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
This is my first post, so please go easy on me.

There are so many wonderful Fender combo amplifiers from which to choose. I don't think it is too much of an exaggeration to suggest that Fender Amplifiers are the industry standard. There are other great amplifiers but the Fender tone and afforability is still tops in my book.

The Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue is a nice amplifier, but I am more familiar with the Blues Deville Reissue that a fellow guitar player owns. The 4X10 has a warm tone that is difficult to beat. While it is 5 inches taller and has three more speakers than the Blues Deluxe, it is only five pounds more. But, it has a tone that is really marvellous. The Blue Alnico speakers by Eminence in the Blues Deville are very responsive and worth the added expense.

Lastly, how cool is the Tweed look?  ;D

I read the news today, oh boy ...

Offline hsech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:55:45 AM »
I am playing through a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb.  I chose this amp because of it's simplicity and it reminds me of some of the old Fender amps I owned at various times in the 60's and 70's.  It doesn't have an effects loop (like the old Fender's of years past), nor does it have channel switching, pre gain or even a mid eq control.  Just 40 watts of good clean tube sound with classic long tank spring reverb and tremolo.  If I need a little dirt a use a MXR micro overdrive pedal to give it a bluesy edge.  The amp is pushing two Jensen 10" alnico speakers and sounds sweet.  Highly recommended if you are looking for a vintage fender sound at a moderate volume level.  I play a Ric 370/12, a Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman and an American Strat through it.  It gives me that 60's sound I aim for.  I'm 60 years old and the weight of the amp is not excessive and it's easy to move around.  It's not a good recording amp due to the lack of a line out and the fact the inputs are hotter and generate a little hiss.  I use a little Fender Champ 600 for recording.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:01:44 AM by hsech »

Offline Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Of the new amps, the Hot Rod Deluxe is a good one, although I don't have one. My mainstays have always been Fender Twin Reverbs. I have four, an original '65 I bought used a few years ago, a '69 that I bought new, a '65 Reissue to retire the two old amps, and one of the new '65 Reissue Classic 15's for the jazz that I play now. I also have a '70 Vibrolux that probably has the sweetest tone of any amp ever built. I never met a Vox or Marshall that I liked; and I really tried to like them and played a ton of them through the years. The Fenders were always the best sounding and most reliable amps for me.
Yer guitar pickin' friend,
Herb
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"
Doghouse Jazz

Offline wmthor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
I really like my 76 SFDR.  It a little beat up, but sounds great.  Somewhere along the line, a previous owner tried installing an line out jack and installed an Altec 417 speaker.  I had retubed a couple of years ago.  I was going to sell it last fall, but I'm glad the sale fell through.

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
Here is my 61' Brown Deluxe. It was painted black with shoe polish, which is proving a little difficult to remove and eventually I will remove the Utah and put a blue alnico in it, but it is a great amp and by far my favorite Fender combo. I also need a new, wheat grill cloth and the little piece for the lower back.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
Update:

I shipped this amp off to Don Butler     http://www.tone-man.com/     for a cap job and general check up.  Then I replaced the grill cloth got a retro handle and lower back panel and put a vintage 30 in it.  This amp is now by far the best Fender combo ever produced.  ;D

I can't stress how much Don Butler is the man your tube amp has been waiting for.  I still haven't gotten the black shoe polish off the thing though.