Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix - did he ever play a Rickenbacker on stage?  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
Jimi Hendrix - did he ever play a Rickenbacker on stage?
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:19:17 AM »
The guitar master Jimi Hendrix holding a Rickenbacker. I wonder, did he ever played a Rickenbacker on stage?

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
Re: Jimi Hendrix - did he ever play a Rickenbacker on stage?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »
I have a pretty good biography of Hendrix that I will dig out to see if there is any information on this, but to offer my opinion on another question involving Jimi's lefthandedness, I specifically remember reading about him struggling with his first guitar until he flipped it over. He actually taught himself to play it upside down. Something he did with amazing accuracy many times during his life when only a right handed guitar was available. So Hendrix truly was left handed.

Offline leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:49:51 PM »
Hi Bjorn and all, I am thinking that the guitar Jimi is holding here belongs to Pete Townsend, there are other pics of him with this guitar with the rest of The Who as well.  Jimi most certainly did have a left-handed 360/12, it was a dark-finished guitar...possibly Jetglo or Burgandyglo. There is a pic of him with this guitar and I think Peter has it somewhere on the RRF site.

I had thought Jimi had at least another Rick and it was a 4001 bass, although no pics have surfaced of it as of yet...supposedly these were bought by Jimi from Manny's Music in NYC.

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:42:37 AM »

Hi Bjorn and all, I am thinking that the guitar Jimi is holding here belongs to Pete Townsend, there are other pics of him with this guitar with the rest of The Who as well.  Jimi most certainly did have a left-handed 360/12, it was a dark-finished guitar...possibly Jetglo or Burgandyglo. There is a pic of him with this guitar and I think Peter has it somewhere on the RRF site.

I had thought Jimi had at least another Rick and it was a 4001 bass, although no pics have surfaced of it as of yet...supposedly these were bought by Jimi from Manny's Music in NYC.
Here are the photos that is mentioned in the quote.
Room Full Of Mirrors, Jimi Hendrix AND a 360/12LH JG or BG.
Read more on Peter's RRP http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/jhendrix.html

You find the article from Guitar Player (I think it is that text) here:
http://www.geocities.com/abexile/jimisgear.html

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:48:20 AM by Björn Eriksson (admin) »

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Jimi had a 4001 too. I have been able to find no pictures of him on stage with any Ric though.