Author Topic: rickenbacker 320 opinions wanted  (Read 3531 times)

Offline alhall

• View Profile
rickenbacker 320 opinions wanted
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:41 PM »
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a rickenbacker  320 (year 1978). Do you have any opinions on this model, sound, pickups, playability ? I have not tried it.

thanks in advance

Alain

Offline Beatlefreak

• View Profile
Re: rickenbacker 320 opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »
Hi Alain, and welcome to the forum.  The 320 is one of RIC's short scale guitars - a 5/8 scale length, though many people call it a 3/4 length.  They are not for everybody.  Many who have large hands report difficulty playing a short scale guitar.  However, an advantage is the increased reach you have with the closer spaced frets.

I have a 325V59, which is the same as a 320, but with an added vibrato.  I really enjoy my 325.  If possible, I would suggest trying it before you buy it.

Offline jingle_jangle

• View Profile
Re: rickenbacker 320 opinions wanted
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »
This would be a rare one; 70s Rick shot scales are not too common! This is the shortest scale production guitar made, at 20 3/4", and is actually closer to a 7/8 scale gitar not a 3/4 or 5/8. (A 5/8 scale rick would have a scale like a ukelele...). But Kris is right...you've gotta like these, and I'd advise playing it for awhile before picking it up, unless it's a super-good deal (a grand or under). These are selling in the $1500+ range so you could theoretically sell it at  profit if it doesn't suit you.