Author Topic: New strings - how often?  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Björn Eriksson (admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Björn Eriksson's Rickenbacker Page
New strings - how often?
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
I use to replace the strings on my Rickenbacker after about 30-60 days depending on how much I have used it.

In the band I play right now I use my Fender Stratocaster as my main guitar :-[ and it needs new strings every two weeks in average because of the many hours of use.

My ES-175 gets new strings about 4 times/year. A jazz guitar is sometimes sounding more mellow and "jazzy" with a little older strings.

I use the following strings:

Rickenbacker = Rickenbacker strings as often as I have them. Sometime's D'Addario 0.10
Fender = Fender 250s R 0.10
Gibson =  D'Daddario Jazz 0.12

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
Re: New strings - how often?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:40:20 AM »
Carvin LB76 (6str bass) Low-Riders, app. 1 a year
4001, Chromes, hopefully not for a long time
SG, Carvin TL60, slinkys, 3 or 4 a year
Ovation, Epiphone acoustics, Elixir custom lights, app. 1 a year

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:01 PM »
I've been waiting for the new Maximas to come out so I can try them on my 4001. I have Chromes on there now, and I like them, but I hear the TI jazz flats and LaBella flats sound better. Now I hear the new Maximas which will be out soon, are very much like the ones that used to come stock on Ric basses a looooong time ago, so I think I will give them a try as soon as I can get my hands on some.

Offline Peter

• View Profile
    • RickResource.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »
For my six stringed instruments I have moved to using D'Addario 0.10s most of the time. I find that theses strings are very well made, economical and readily available.

The gauges that I have settled on, because of my love of bending strings and my old hands is 10, 12, 16, 26, 36, 46. This allows me to bend but still have enough string to get a decent sound.

I use the Rickenbacker 12 string set for my 12 string.

Peter
I read the news today, oh boy ...