Author Topic: Toaster pickups? Which model for me?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline marshalljt

• View Profile
Toaster pickups? Which model for me?
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:51:26 AM »
Hi,
I have been playing a Gibson 335 for years but I have always wanted a Rickenbacker. My questions are: Which pickups do I go with. Toaster or conventional. Also, I like a thin neck. Which models have a thinner neck? What does the "stereo" affect give the sound? I like the looks of the 360 12. I would be looking for a very nice used instrument condition wise.

Offline bassbob

• View Profile
Re: Toaster pickups? Which model for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »
I'm a Rick bass guy, but I think I would go with the toasters. The old version is better. I think the bobbin material is different and they may be wound differently. As far as which model, I don't know. I think you will enjoy the Ric-o-sound (stereo) feature though.

Offline flyingeagle

• View Profile
Re: Toaster pickups? Which model for me?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
Hi,
I have been playing a Gibson 335 for years but I have always wanted a Rickenbacker. My questions are: Which pickups do I go with. Toaster or conventional. Also, I like a thin neck. Which models have a thinner neck? What does the "stereo" affect give the sound? I like the looks of the 360 12. I would be looking for a very nice used instrument condition wise.

Howdy,

It all depends on the sound that you are looking for. If you are trying to get the sound of the Byrds, Tom Petty or The Beatles, then I would go with the toasters. If you want a sound more like Steppenwolf, The Smithereens, REM or other new wave bands, then the Hi Gains will work. Also keep in mind that the Toasters have a lower volume output. Then again, that is what Amps are for. Good luck.

Steve